What We Know About the Safety of CNs
Resources on this page describe (1) risk assessment strategies for evaluating the safety of cellulose nanomaterials and (2) outcomes from such assessments.
- Health/safety characterization methods, in vitro, in vivo. A review of cellulose nanomaterial characterization that includes a section on characterization for environmental health and safety evaluation. [(Shatkin, Ong, and Clift, 2018) in Foster et al., 2018]
- Establishing the safety of novel bio-based cellulose nanomaterials for commercialization. An industrially relevant testing strategy for novel cellulose nanomaterials, including a safety evaluation of lignin-coated cellulose nanomaterials. [Ong et al., 2017]
- Environmental Health and Safety of Cellulose Nanomaterials and Composites. A book chapter that assesses information in a life-cycle risk analysis of cellulose nanomaterials and presents an HSE roadmap that prioritizes data gaps, linking research and testing needs to safety and sustainability demonstration. [Shatkin and Kim, 2017]
- Cellulose Nanomaterials: Life Cycle Risk Assessment, and Environmental Health and Safety Roadmap. A pre-commercial screening of selected applications of CNs to identify and assess potential risks from occupational, consumer and environmental exposures throughout the product life cycle. [Shatkin and Kim, 2015]
- NANO LCRA: Nano Life Cycle Risk Assessment Framework. A risk assessment framework developed specifically for nanomaterials that adopts life cycle thinking into risk analysis. [Shatkin, 2012]